" Nutrition is the only remedy that can bring full recovery and can be used with any treatment. Remember food is our best medicine." - Anonymous
Emaciation ( Karshya) means person having lean and thin body character. It is an disease caused due to malnutrition (Aptarpanjanya vyadhi).
Emaciation is defined as extreme weight loss and unnatural thinness due to a loss of subcutaneous fat ( The fatty or adipose tissue beneath the skin) and muscle throughout the body.
A body mass index (BMI=Kg/m2) below 18.5 is considered under weight or emaciation.
If the emaciated person is not treated properly then it causes spleen enlargement, Wasting, dyspnoea, Piles , gastrointestinal disorders etc.
Karshya is emaciation of Sphika (buttocks), Udar (belly / abdominal fats), Griva (Neck). The arteries and veins of all the body looks prominent.
Emaciation is a symptom and as well as disease also.
Emaciation (Karshya) is considered to be better than Obesity (Sthaulya).
🔳 Cause :
- Eating more Rough (Ruksha) ,Pungent (Katu), non sliminess ( Vishada) properties food.
- Taking inadequate quantity of food (Pramitasana)
- Forceful suppression of natural urges like sleep, thirst and hunger. (Vegavidharana)
- Excessive Fasting (Ati langhana)
- Excessive sexual intercourse (Ati vyavay)
- Excessive physical and mental activity (Ati vyayama)
- Genetics and constitution (Beejadosha and prakriti)
- Old age (Jara)
- Less sleep or Inadequate sleep at night ( Nidra Nigraha)
- Due to diseases like Tuberculosis, HIV, Chronic inflammatory disease, Camcer and Blood disorders etc.
- Emotional disturbance like Fear, Grief, Worries, Amger etc.
🔳 Symptoms :
- Skin bone appearance (Twagasthi Shesho)
- Thick joints ( Sthoola Parva)
- Prominent Vascular network (Dhamanijala santataha)
- Does not tolerate too much of cold and heat
- Does not tolerate high intoxicity of hanger, Thirst, Dosease, Drugs.
Emaciated person intolerate following things.
- Hunger and Thirst ( Ksudha evum Pipasa)
- Excessive Heat and cold ( Shitoshnatva)
- Heavy weight ,Rains (Bhar evum Varsha)
- Emaciated person prone to Vata roga e. g. Paralysis ( Pakshaghata), Parkinson's ( Kampavata) etc.
🔳 Do's (Pathya)
- Take light ( Laghu) and nourishing ( Santarpan) diet which increases digestion power and helps to weight gain.
- Intake of ghee, Milk, Almond, Fig, Date palm and Black gram etc.
- Intake of newly harvested grains after cooking.
- Take day sleep.
- Do oil massage on whole body on daily basis.
- Eating and having Sweet ( Madhur) , Unctuous (Snigdh), Light (Laghu) properties.
- Do yoga e. g. Suryanamskara and meditation to remain happy and cheerful.
- Cessation of mental activity to take things easy and not to worry.
🔳 Don'ts (Apathya) :
- Avoid Eating Bitter (Tikta), Astringent (Kashaya), Pungent (Katu) properties food more in quantity.
- Avoid Heavy Exercise and sexual activity.
- Avoid Night awakening.
- Avoid cause of worry, Fear and Anger.
🔳 Treatment :
Single Drugs :-
- Ashwagandha ( Withania Somnifera)
- Vidarikanda ( Indian Kudzu)
- Shatavari ( Asparagus Racemosus)
- Jivanti ( Leptadenia)
- Bala ( Heart-Leaf sida)
Compound formulations : -
- Chyavanprasha Avleha
- Narikelkhanda paka